Ethiopian Black Opal, Parcel, 200 g
Our rough and polished Ethiopian black opals from the recently discovered deposit at Stayish mine near the town of Gashena. We source rough and cut and polish custom-made cabochons for jewelry companies and collectors.
External reference: GIA: New Deposit of Black Opal from Ethiopia, 2014.
Black opal – non-hydrophane (does not absorb water)
|Length / width / depth|
N1 (N1 – N4 are the black body tone types)
No treatment, 100% natural
All rough stones have a no return or refund policy
GIA: New Deposit of Black Opal from Ethiopia, 2016
1. Black opal is found at the contact zone / stratum between volcanic rock and an underlying clay-rich layer;
2. This opal-bearing layer is contained in a single stratum and extends for c. 10-50 km along the mountain belt;
3. The black opal yielded is non-hydrophane and does not absorb water;
4. Extracted material generally comes as nodules and chunks that are 2–5 cm long; and
5. The colour patterns include: harlequin, patchwork, honeycomb etc..
BLACK OPAL DEPOSIT LOCATION
Click to load the map.